Saturday, January 13, 2007

Wintery Mix!

When I first heard this term I thought it was unique to Minnesota. Wintery Mix? What's up with that? Apparently what I'm learning in my travels across this land is that "Wintery Mix" would only be unique in the SF Bay Area. Sigh. Tomorrow we are having a "wintery mix". Great. I am now trying to distinguish the difference between, sleet, freezing rain, etc. All I know for sure is that I don't want to drive in any of them.

I am grumpy this week. Mike is heading to California on Wednesday for a training camp with his new team and I am staying here. I wish I was racing so I could take a vacation. Even worse is the day he leaves the forecasted high for Boston is 18 degrees. I'll be here freezing in my wintery mix and he'll be out riding his bike all day in Pajaro Dunes. It is my Christmas present to him---sigh. If I think about it that way it's alot easier to live with.

Thinking about Mike flying to California reminds me about last December when I flew to San Diego. I was seated next to this couple who immigrated from Poland. They were visiting their son who was in the services and was now settled in San Diego after he returned from his tour in Iraq. When they learned he was not coming home for the holidays they decided to go and see him. They had an amazing story about their immigration to the USA. She worked as a seamstress for Sax Fifth Avenue and he was a Philosopher and Photographer...making ends meet and making a better life for their children. In 23 years of marriage, this was their first time ever flying together. They were inspiring to me and reminded me about the so many opportunities available in the USA.

It's easy to forget sometimes how fortunate we are---it is a luxury to be able to complain about things like weather and vacations (or lack there of) as I sit here and type on my computer anticipating a "wintery mix". Enjoy your Saturday---and stay warm!

No comments: