Friday, January 26, 2007

3 degrees, feels like minus 17!

We're getting a quick brush with some Arctic Canadian air---looks like it will only last a day, but it is cold out there. Funny thing is that I feel like saying, "Aw, this is nothing!'---like a true experienced Minnesotan. Only in Minnesota, my house was quite a bit warmer than this! There is ice frozen on the inside of my windows. You think I am joking, but I am not. And we live in a pretty nice flat---double panes and everything. Our floors are wood though and they feel like ice. The thermometer inside this morning is a balmy 48 degrees. My fingers freeze as I type! Wild, huh?

And before you say, "well turn on the darn heat, Joni---we're tired of your whining stories about how cold it is", you have to understand New England a bit. For example, the heat is radiant heat (like water bubbles up inside something and it works like a radiator in a car kind of), so it works slowly and pretty inefficiently. And the cost of heating your house is so astronomical, it's easier to just wear alot of clothes. New England has got to be the source for all those stories on the news about the high cost of heating your home. You could easily spend many hundreds of dollars (maybe thousands?)---close to what you spend in rent, for just keeping your home at 60 degrees. Oh well---it's just one day.

Our saving grace? The Hoffman's & The Lebish's (My Aunt, Uncle and Cousin's) gave us a luxurious down comforter when we got married. We top that with a quilt we received from my Mom's dear friend Pam (also for our wedding). Last night, as we snuggled in to bed...Mike looks over at me and smiles and says, "these covers RULE!"

Stay warm! Happy Friday!

No comments: