Monday, January 08, 2007

80+ miles over the weekend?!

After living in Minnesota last year, I learned the "mind-game" of seasonal sport changes. At first it was unheard of for me to imagine that I couldn't ride my bike everyday. But once the snow flew and it became very cold, I learned to love trail-running in Camden's winter wonderland so much that I never missed riding. Seriously. I still hated being cold, but I looked forward to my time with Sydney in Camden as much as any bike ride. After a week, I didn't miss the "saddle time".

So this year, it was much easier to hang up my two wheels and set my mind to a different outdoor activity. I enjoy running immensely, although if I do it everyday, even on a treated-running track, I manage to injure something. Last Friday I injured some kind of ligament such that I had to walk around in my running shoes or else walk on my tippy-toes. I knew I was hosed for running for a few days.

If you'd a told me that I would be riding over 80 miles in January in Boston over the weekend, I wouldn't believe you. But it's true. I think riding cured my running injury too...ah, yes, the "perfect" bicycle!

Yesterday was chilly but sunny and I rode for almost 4 hours! I can't believe it. Today we are back in the "drink", but since it is in or near 50 degrees, NO SNOW! I, for one, and happy about that!

Happy Monday!

No comments: