Monday, October 29, 2007

Sunrise in NW Reno!


Yesterday was so lovely! I was going to take the day off the bike---the morning was cold and I had many "jobs" to do (laundry, groceries, weekend house-stuff), but I was finished by 12:30. Instead of setting up the trainer and watching the football games, I talked myself into just a short ride. It had warmed up nicely and there was zero wind. Next thing I knew and I was headed towards Mt. Rose.

On Thomas Creek I see this attractive skinny guy heading my way. You guessed it. Mike was just heading home from his Mt. Rose adventure. He stopped and turned back my way for a bit. "Hey sweetie...can you believe how nice it is?" I told him I couldn't. I wasn't ready for a long ride...but my bike was headed towards Mt. Rose as if it had a mind of it's own. I made sure he had a key to the house and we headed in opposite directions.

I can't explain the silence here. There are no big cities and unless you live in a place where there are no big cities within 100's of miles, you won't understand. It is amazing to me how the sound of silence is so calming. Instead (of distant city sounds) I hear the sounds of my wheels, the breeze in my helmet and the birds in the bushes.

As I headed up the 2 mile grinder home, the weather had changed. I pulled up my arm-warmers (for the climb) and as I got to the top, the clouds had rolled in. The weather channel didn't say anything that would make you think a storm might be blowing in. When I got home I started a warm bath and as soon as I got in, Mike called out "Hey---you got home just in time...it's hailing!" Imagine that!

We ate a feast and watched the hail turn to rain---the clean air turning into a more extreme clarity!

And check out this sunrise!!

No comments: