Saturday, November 03, 2007

Some "gambling" thoughts


Seems like an appropriate subject line for a gal who is now living in the Silver State. The thing is, I don't really gamble. Mike and I even laugh about the fact that he'll at least gamble with someone else's money (like when Jeff gave him $100 to play poker with at an Interbike many moon's ago), whereas I will keep the $100 and put it in the bank.

So, as I think back to when Mike and I left Minnesota and moved to Boston, it didn't feel like a real gamble. But I suppose it was. We both had a long history with Seven, and everyone told us that "Boston is like the San Francisco of the East"---it felt like a sure thing on paper. Especially when we were given a carrot to move back to California in a year.

Perhaps our expectations were too high? And the shock of really crummy weather (summer and winter and spring) was a bit hard to take. Our saving grace was that we had each other. That sounds corny---but it really proved true. So when we looked into heading back to the West coast, it was interesting that out of the three job offers I had, we chose the most unknown option. We gambled on a place that neither of us knew much about.

Well lately, it feels like we hit the jack-pot. July and August were of course too hot for my "other half"---but not really all that bad. And spring was lovely. But nothing like the Fall in the high-desert. Who knew? You don't often read stories about the "Fall colors of Nevada", or the perfectly clear 65-70 degree weather, or the calm small-town feel of Northern Nevada. Everyday the sun shines, the skies are a fantastic blue, and the mountain views---I just never get tired of them.

So we took a gamble on Reno and I guess sometimes gambling is a good thing! Happy Saturday from the cute little Scrapper!

No comments: