Saturday, October 06, 2007

Snow on the Mountain Tops!

October 6th and it has actually snowed twice already and we woke up Friday morning to snow in our front yard! It's already melted except for on the mountain tops. And it is crisp and beautiful outside. The air is clean, the sky is blue and the visibility is infinite. I thought I was going to be too tired or too cold or "fill in the blank for a good excuse not" to ride today. It was in the 30's when we got up this morning.

That said, after doing all my morning "jobs", my bicycle beckoned me to go for a ride. This is the first weekend in a long time where I didn't have to be anywhere---and my plan was to sleep and rest and read and watch movies. But my bicycle has a loud bark, and it was beautiful and warmer by noon. So I bundled up in my fall riding gear and headed for the hills!

It's funny the conversations I have with myself when I think I am going for a short ride. My first climb into Caughlin Ranch, and I say.."OK Joni, just do one small lap". That's all you need to do today. When I got to the top of the 3rd roller of the climb, I zipped up my vest for the fast descent. The air is COLD. Even though the sun warms up--the air chill is cold. It was like jumping into a cold lake after sitting in a jacuzzi.

As turned back into Caughlin Ranch at the bottom of the hill, I was happy for the warmth of the climb again. And where I was supposed to make a right, my bike kept going straight and off I went for another lap of the area. I always talk myself into the "just one more mile...one more hill...one more hour". Real conversations. Like if someone passes me I am sure they think I am talking on a cell phone. 5 years ago they would have thought I was nuts and talking to myself. Now my behavior can be perceived as normal since everyone is always talking to someone on the phone.

So it is good to be back in the mountain air of the Sierra's. Mike and I both love the Fall---and this is our first Fall in the High Sierra's! Glad I didn't take the day off the bike.

Hope you have a lovely Saturday!

No comments: