Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Tuesday morning ride...

So, all those months of Mike complaining to me about the "working full time---no time to ride" syndrome are sinking in. If I even open my mouth to complain he quickly quashes any further words by saying, "See---now you understand!" Sigh. It's not really all that bad. I just like to have something unimportant to complain about sometimes.

Luckily I am a morning person. It happened late in life (I used to like to "party all the time" and sleep until 10am!) Now I am up around 5 or 5:30 and if I'm not in bed by 9:30pm it's what I consider a late night. Sigh.

This morning I was out of the house and on my bike before Mike even woke up. You have to get up early to avoid the chaotic morning rush. In any case---I was pedaling along, minding my own business and didn't even realize it was near the end of May---I'm still wearing my lobster claw gloves on my rides in the morning. Can you believe it? I can't.

Before the traffic kicks in, you have time to admire all the colors and greenery of Spring. New England is "seasons to the nth degree". Never have I seen anything quite like it. And the houses are cool---no two are quite the same. And they're old for the most part. So old that the horse/animal barns are connected to the home (so that you didn't have to wander out into the weather to tend to your livestock, no doubt).

I was rolling along, realizing that what I like the most about riding my bike---or at least one of the things, is that it is my time. I'm nobody's wife, friend, employee, sister, daughter, etc. I'm just me. It's my time. It's self-indulgent. And I don't know if it is the exercise or the "time" that I need, but whatever it is, it sure does make the rest of the day easier.

...so this morning, just as I was thinking about my Mom while rolling along in the "suddenly getting more populated with smelly old cars" roads, I suddenly found myself barely avoiding a pot-hole the size of a small state (let's say the size of Delaware). It reminded me that no matter what is going on around you or inside you---you've got to pay attention. And enjoy every minute and moment that you have. Otherwise, you might fall into a pot-hole or something. Silly thoughts for a Tuesday.

Happy Birthday Chris Insinger!

No comments: