Saturday, May 27, 2006

Saturday Spin

Working in the bike business AND having weekends and holidays off (and paid!)---is very cool. Another cool thing is that so many folks took off for "the Cape" or other places for the long weekend and so I had a nice reprieve on my ride today from all the traffic. A creature of habit, I always head West and today was no different. What was different is the warmth. Shorts and Jersey weather at last.

As I passed Walden Pond, I realized how quickly the thrill wears off. Only two months ago, I was "Wow! Walden Pond!" Not really "wears off"...but rather I expect to see it. Even as I head passed the historic sites in Concord and the Minutemen Trail, I am still impressed...but I don't always "look" like I did when I moved here.

Oh, don't get me wrong, there's always something new and interesting---and when there are less cars, it is so much easier to see the beauty of this area. The flora and fauna of New England still amazes me. There are these pale pink and bright yellow trees, amongst all the green, green pastures. And the organic farms are regal...just like the horses and their owner's I pass along my route.

And then there's Carlisle. I love it there, and it isn't just the ice cream. It's the way that every home (mansion) is different and unique---no two alike. There's standing water all over Great Brook Farm---no mosquitos yet, but I am sure they're on the way. It was humid today---I like it that way when I'm riding though.

Mike and I are headed to Hartford, Connecticut tomorrow for a race...I hope you enjoyed a lovely first day of the long weekend. Nothing like a Saturday Spin in the morning (followed by a downpour after I returned home)...but the sun's out now and no rain in the forecast for awhile!

No comments: