Sunday, May 21, 2006

Lake Sunapee Bike Race- Newbury, New Hampshire

Saturday, May 20, 2006 - Newbury, New Hampshire

69 miles; 3 times around a 23 mile circuit over very rolling terrain with 1300 ft of climbing per lap. No feedzone. And while it was very chilly (Is it May---really?), Mike said it best when he said, "...at least it isn't raining!" The fields in the races [all over New England] are now full, so Mike headed to a near 100 guy start line in the Pro 1/2 race, while I headed off right behind them solo. The nice thing about "no feed zone" is that I get to head out and explore on roads that have the rolling closure, policeman marshaling at all the places where there is a turn, and even SAG/wheel vehicles that pass me when the different categories of races go by, should I need one!

A few Colavita guys, The NERAC team, a few Canadian Teams were there in force, along with some of the local hot-shot teams (CBC, Fiordi Fruitta, Garneau, Cyclemainia/VW and others). These teams have like 8-15 guys...(think Alto Velo!). I was so busy piling on the clothes that I missed the start. The weather, at this point, is making me weary. This is the second year where I really had to dig deep to deal with the external weather patterns. Sigh. (Quit complaining Joni!)

I have to say that despite the chill, this part of New England is absolutely magnificent! New Hampshire is spectacular...in the spring. I can only imagine what it must be like in the fall. In New Hampshire, the roads are pristine! Clean, smooth pavement---nary a pothole. Massachusetts, even when you get out of Boston proper has so many potholed roads!

I'd be reaching if I said that these were "climbs", still, it felt good to "climb" again (the whole circuit was like climbing Old La Honda, plus 100 feet---and you had 23 miles instead of 3.5 miles to do it), and yet...it felt more similar to my old jaunts than anything I've encountered in going on two years. When the pace cars would approach I would pull over and cheer the racers on! Two other Seven guys were there---Scott Rosenthal and Seth were both joining in the sufferfest in their respective fields.

Lake Sunapee is below Mount Sunapee---one of the ripples of the White Mountains (think Mount Washington), and the Appalachia Ranges. The air is clean, the roads are clean and the people are friendly. Me and my tangents. That's why Mike races and I explore. I'm supposed to be writing about the race and I can't shut up about the overwhelming "Loveliness" of this area. But after 5 years or so, you're used to it! (They didn't call me Joni "Mail-er" for nothing! Even if I am a Taylor now).

I finally got lapped by the Pro guys...and I spotted my favorite Seven guy (my favorite person for that matter) sitting comfortably in the pack, looking like he was on a club ride...when he can breathe, smile and say "hey" to me, I know he's feeling pretty good! I jumped on with some girls who were off the back on the steepest part of one of the climbs...hung with them going uphill, but I always get dropped on the descent.

Two guys had escaped off the front [of the P1/2 race], on the first lap. No one chased and there went the race. Without any team tactics to bring back the two leaders, it was a race for third. A single guy (unless you're Eric Wohlberg!) can't bring back a 3 minute lead solo-style. Frustrated, but willing to take over, Mike worked his way to the front of the peloton and lead them uphill to the finish. Two guys jumped on his wheel...one guy was barely able to go around him for the finish...but Mike finished strong! Second on the sprint and 4th overall!

We celebrated his prize with some sushi and Belgian Beer. The best news is that he said he felt better after the race than he feels on some of his weekend training rides. No aches. No pains. Not bad for a working stiff!

No comments: