Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Palmer Road Race

Sunday, April 30, 2006 - Palmer Road Race

80 miles---4 times around 20 mile rolling course with an uphill finish! The last 7 miles were pretty much into a 15-20 mph headwind. That said, I think today is the most beautiful (weather-wise) day we've had since we moved here. It probably got into the low 70's, not a cloud in the sky and bright, crisp and clear sunshine! To top it off, I had my eye's out for my Oakley's that blew off my head on the freeway yesterday, and sure enough, there they were. Mike pulled off to the side of the turnpike and I ran out to get them. Not a scratch! Can you believe it?

Anyway---nice way to start the day! And we packed the car with all our good wheel-sets today, so of course we didn't need them and of course that's why we did it!

The town of Palmer is located in Central Massachusetts (near Amherst), about 15-20 miles further West from yesterday's race. And there was a rolling start down a hill from a less spectacular [than yesterday's] High-School, although, I have to say that the schools out here are like something from a storybook. I love how they're all nestled into the geography of the area. They "blend" in a regal way, as opposed to an "in your face" kind of thing.

And given the course, and the fact that I only have to support one guy, I brought my bike today and set out ahead of the Pro 1/2 race (80 riders strong!), missing the start perhaps, but they caught me going up this pretty steep incline (still neutral). Mike rode by, smiled and said "hey!" I love it when he does that!

This was certainly a nice place to go for a bike ride---especially with a rolling closure and plenty of other races to clear the roads of cars. It also helped me stay on course---as each race passed me by I was able to see where to turn. I even hopped on the back of one of the fields (of the old guys!) until a race marshall said (nicely) that I wasn't supposed to do that, which was OK by me since I miss all the cool scenery when I'm trying to hold a wheel.

I made it to the feed-zone with time to spare (I so hoped to not get lapped by the Pro 1/2 guys!). Mike came by looking like he does when he's out on a club ride. Weird. I gave him a bottle and cheered him up the road. He didn't need a bottle on the last lap. No breaks to talk about---but I loved listening to the Massachusetts accent when the race director was yelling for folks to "move yer cahs...off the wroad please!"

I watched the guys come up the hill for the finish and one of Mike's new riding buddies, Joe took the honors for the win. Mike rolled in for 12th place. I wish I looked as good as he does after racing (or even riding for that matter) 80 miles. We rolled the few miles back to the car together. Another great racing weekend!

Thanks for reading....

No comments: