Saturday, August 04, 2007

Walk the talk

My carbon footprint over the last few weeks is not something I am very happy about. Such is the nature of the beast. In order to get ready for 2008, I am spending the summer of 2007 getting folks excited about "new stuff". For a girl who never plans what she is doing in the next hour, this is quite a concept. And blending the "culture of the bike biz" from Europe to the USA has been enlightening, to say the least.

If I spoke to you about the "passion for cycling", and told you the reasons my product was so great, and I had a cigarette hanging out of my mouth---would you buy? Perhaps? Perhaps not. In Europe, the cycling business is a "business". They could be selling packs of gum. If somebody wants to smoke---this is their own business. Heck, I smoked once upon a time---I am sorry to report. That was over 20 years ago...when I was a know-it-all "adult". But the cycling community, so saturated with marketing ploys, is a little more skeptical. The proof is in the pudding.

For example, one of my favorite"chief's" at Palo Alto Bicycles that got me started in the biz, understood that I knew nothing about selling bikes, but I had a passion for the sport, I rode hundreds of miles a week, thus I could sell bike stuff. He could teach me the technical details. He couldn't teach me the passion part. That I had and so I was successful and believable. Another example is a shop in Boston, that literally goes for a ride with everyone they do business with. If you want to sell this shop something, you better be ready to ride with them.

Last week while traveling with my Italian counter-part, I had to keep my wits about me, finding "safe places" to smoke in between shop visits. I kept my cool when I was showing the collection to a particular shop where I love the folks in charge, and their lovely daughter (who's a baby---like barely walking) accidently tipped over a purse, and out fell the pack of cigarettes.

I don't mean to be rough on smokers. Having been there, I know the challenges of quitting---and really, it is none of my business. If you are selling me athletic apparel/gear/bikes/running shoes though---you are going to have a tough time being believable to me.

Not a single employee at Sinclair Imports smokes. How nice! We all ride, race, and live our work. I know I promised Gephardt a good story ---but I am mostly enjoying the first whole day off I have had in two weeks---

My Minnesota Mom & Dad are in Alaska! Happy birthday little sista! Happy Saturday!

No comments: