Saturday, June 09, 2007

Reason to Ride #6252005

So I made up the number, as I have lost track of all the great things about riding my bicycle. And this number is my lucky Anniversary number. Anyway, have you ever looked up a big hill and said, "I can never ride a bike up THAT!" When I first started pedaling, I used to live on top of one of the biggest hills in San Francisco and I would ride everywhere and then push my bike up the last leg home. I "assumed" I wouldn't be able to make it so I didn't even try. One night on my way home from work, I was feeling good and put my heavy beloved mountain bike into it's smallest gear and rode it on the sidewalk all the way home. I never pushed my bike again.

Today as I was pedaling up the hills around Reno, I thought of how big these hills (and mountains) looked when I first arrived into town. I may have never pushed my bike---but I wanted to---especially since it was spring and we'd get have those windy desert days. Nothing like riding up a hill into a headwind that shifts to a crosswind with each corner. Only now, what was once a big hill, is now a "bump" in the road.

Everyday I challenge myself with each ride. Push bigger gears. Ride further. And each time I make it up a hill, I feel good. It's like a confidence booster. I don't have to ride up faster than anyone---I can be slower than everyone, and I still feel like I accomplished something. It's a daily dose of "I did something!" And I feel better for the rest of the day---which is why I like to start everyday with a couple of hours or more on my beloved two wheels!

Happy Saturday! Happy Birthday Hunter Taylor Rooney! We're off to a race in Sattley, California tomorrow!

No comments: