Monday, June 25, 2007

A day at the Campagnolo Factory!

In my wildest dreams I never imagined I would find myself in Italy to spend a day working with Campagnolo inside the factory. I keep pinching myself. They had me booked in Vergilius Hotel and Spa resort for the collections presentation, and my room overlooked the swimming pool and part of the golf course. There are also mountains close by---I thought this part of Italy would be flatter...but it is rolling like the Santa Cruz Mountains. Venezia is a very wealthy province in Italy and Vicenza, where Campagnolo is, is the wealthiest city in the Venezia province. I imagined it would be more industrial (when I think of factory, I think Industrial---Pittsburgh, but this is not so).

Campagnolo Sportswear is completely separate from the components division. They are right near each other, but the clothing designers come from the fashion industry. Their specialty is clothing. Fashion degrees and expertise in high tech materials/fabrics and there are no component aspects. I never knew this. I got a private presentation of the entire collection and was amazed that only 8 people run this part of the division. It was like being at Chanel, Yves St. Laurent in France. Only this was Italia.

The food in Italy is beyond belief. Everything tastes better here and I do not know why. The attention to detail and the proper oils and fresh basil. Yum.

After we worked, Paola took me to my hotel in the center of Treviso. It is a bed and breakfast right in the center of the town and Treviso is surrounded by three rivers. Right outside my room there is a canal passing, and I am on the top floor---last room. It is old and charming and it is not touristy where I am. True Italian culture. Tonight Paola is taking me to dinner at a place close by.

I am getting a real inside view of Italian culture---complete with an English interpreter! How did this happen?

No comments: