Monday, June 25, 2007

Ciao di Italia!

If I went over the crazy departure I had, it would make you tired---it certainly made me tired! Everything started out fine and Mike dropped me off early at the Reno airport (which is quite nice--easy, simple, not crowded and clean). Unfortunately my plane was not as prompt (there was really no reason that I ever found out, they said it was weather---but it was clear as a bell in Reno and SF)---perhaps my (United) airlines flight was victim of the computer glitch I've been hearing about on CNN. In any case---even though my connecting flight in SF was on the ground for the whole 45 minutes that I was in line since they said I was too late to make it since my plane was late, they refused to let me board. I couldn't book my flight through from Reno because they were different airlines.

Sigh--then, Delta tried to tell me that it was United's fault and so I had to go wait in line at United and I said that United told me I had to re-book with Delta since they were the issuing agent. Delta said that United would have to pay---and I said I really didn't know who had to pay---but it wasn't me. They then proceeded to book me on a flight that would have made me miss the meeting I was flying here for. Unacceptable. With a little creative booking...and alot of patience, they found me a flight on Air France. But I had to wait for four hours, fly to LA...wait another 3 hours and then fly to Paris. From Paris, I had to then take a bus to a different terminal and board for a flight to Venice.

As I write about it, I realize that it sounds alot worse than it was. It was certainly not fun waiting around in airports, and going through security 4 times. The mental stress is the worse. I also was being met in Venice by a driver from Campagnolo and I had no cell phone. I called my dad and Mike and they were chartered with tending to those arrangements ( and my Papa's message was very well received by the Italians and they were touched by his message about making sure somebody came to get me.)

But all went well and in retrospect, Air France is one of the nicest airlines I have been in. The coach seats have as much room as business class---you get a private TV with 8 movies to choose from and the meals were great. Even on the commuter flight between Paris and Venice (a little over an hour flight), they served a meal with a fresh baguette and french cheeses.

So I am now at Vergilius Hotel Spa---a resort in Vicenza. I met Mr. V. Campagnolo today in the presentation. Tomorrow I go to work with Paola at the Campagnolo Factory to spend the day learning more about the clothing.

Estate. Fa molto caldo. Non piovere. Molto bene!! (Summer. It's very hot. No rain. Very good!)

Ciao di Italia!

No comments: