Sunday, July 16, 2006

Climb to the Clouds

No, I didn't do it. But I followed the route towards Wachussetts (if I did the climb it would be about 120 miles or so round trip). I didn't know about the planned formal ride, or I might have joined the 1000+ strong peloton from Concord over to the climb. Mike ended up running into the "packs" of riders along the way---I did too, only I didn't know they were an organized ride and they were obviously so far off the back that they were not going to get to the clouds. I left later than Mike, as I couldn't peel away from the TV and the days' Tour stage...

There was another ride going on called the "Memory Ride". Not sure what they were remembering, but I'm sure the woman who got side swiped by a car (who "hit and ran") will have something new to add to her memory ride. She was OK, but it was a chaotic jaunt out of town on the bike today, that's for sure.

My road took me out towards Bolton---through Maynard, Stowe (home of Bose) and I rode until my "map ran out". I never looked at my map, but I didn't want to need to. Luckily, Mike called me and left me turn by turn directions on the phone "just in case". It was hot and humid, but it is really fine weather for riding. It just bites for anything else.

And I had nicely paved roads for a change (yes, no pot-holes) and it makes such a difference. I've never seen such beat up roads as those from Boston to about 15-20 miles in all directions out of the city. Apparently, instead of spending tax dollars on quality roads, these very wealthy communities spend their money on education and the "Big Dig". Now everyone is mad because it looks like they were cutting corners with those dollars and one of the tunnels broke apart and killed a gal last week [The Big Dig is network of roads that go underground and stay off the local streets---a nice idea but 15 years and lots of dollars and politics in the making!] . Now the traffic is horrendous and there's only one way in and out of the airport. Sigh.

We just were outside; I was playing soccer with the Scrapper and Mike was doing the weekly cleaning and maintenance on our bikes (I am very fortunate to have him take such good care of my ride!), and I looked at the thermometer---almost 100 degrees! And as much as I'd like to, I refuse to complain about the heat. In the heat---I can still ride...in the cold, I am hosed. I doubt we'll be cooking tonight though. Guess pizza and beer is on the menu!

Have a wonderful Sunday evening! Happy Birthday ( a day late) to Tom!!

No comments: