Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Happy July 4th - With Love from Beantown

The last few weeks, Mike has been sick with whatever he gets every year. He finally went to the doctor last Friday, and she said, in no uncertain terms, "Stay off the bike for a week!" And for the first time in a long time, he took these precautions to heart and heeded her words. Let's just say that the fact that we were finally heading into a sunny and fairly rain free weekend, Mike's "willpower" was put to the test---especially since his wife, who had no "orders" from the doc, was free to ride in what felt like summer weather.

I rode almost 180 miles these last few days---long over due indeed. It doesn't sound like very much maybe, but it sure felt like alot of time in the saddle. Most folks around here leave for the coast or other spots and so I had the roads to myself. All the local attraction spots were packed (Walden Pond, Concord Center, Lexington Center, Minutemen National Forest, Great Brook Farm and all the ice creameries around Carlisle and Chelmsford) and I would have hated being stuck in a car looking for a parking spot, but on a bike---well it was nice indeed.

Here's a fun fact---did you know that Walden Pond is spring fed from underground? It's filtered through all the sand in it's bottom and it's like being in freshly filtered, pure water. Pretty cool huh?

On Sunday I saw the most cyclists ever. Everyone was riding to Fitchburg I think and it looked like several "Spectrum" Saturday rides---Of course I got dumped on by a rain shower---but it didn't rain in Watertown and so Mike never saw it.

Today I was treated to quite a sight on my ride through Carlisle. What I had first thought were two recumbents turned out to be two guys on wheelchair bikes. No leg power---just arm power. One guys legs were dangling from beneath his seat---when he came storming passed me I though he didn't have any legs...but he did---they just were dangling, tucked beneath him somehow. I caught back up to them on a slight uphill section, but I could barely keep up. What hammers!

When we came to a stop, I told them both that the Tour de France riders had nothing on them. They smiled and I gave them my vote for the yellow jersey for the day. They were having fun---hammering each other, and their arms were stronger than my legs. Folks on upright bikes had a hard time keeping up with them. It made my day, and ego in tact, I rode on my merry way!

So now it's dumping rain. What a shock. It's actually been so hot and humid, and I rode for four hours, so I don't even mind. There's plenty of Tour de France action to watch---The Aerosmith guys are doing a free concert with the Boston Pop's on the esplanade on the Charles River tonight during the fireworks ---6 miles away from our place. I bet I'll be watching it on TV though.

Happy and Safe 4th of July to you! This is Joni, reporting LIVE from Beantown! I miss you!

No comments: