Saturday, November 11, 2006

Naked Trees

Two glorious weeks in Northern California! That's what I had and that's where I have been. I was working, yeah, but it almost didn't feel that way. Especially since much of my work entailed visiting my old bicycle jaunts. I rode up Mount Hamilton, Kings Mountain, and of course Old La Honda. Heaven. I was worried I might have lost my climbing legs---but it must have been memory snap---or the fact that my bicycle just got a new makeover or something. Hamilton was awesome...20 miles uphill! I forgot how nice it was to just get in a slow rhythm and go up hill for hours. When I reached the infamous observatory I was able to look down across the valley---felt like I was on top of the world. I was at least on the top of my world.

Too hard to catch up in an email and not bore you to tears---suffice it to say---the Bay area is where my heart lives and thrives. Mom and I had one of the best times together I can remember. A rare Mom and Daughter trip down the coast of California. Time flew. We listened to "Spamalot"---but mostly we just "talked-alot" and enjoyed our alone time.

And I hope it was a successful trip. It seemed to have been...In any case, I just dropped Mike off at the airport. He's going home to Minnesota for a week of R&R. The Scrapper and I have some girl time together. Separate vacations this year. I am headed back to California in December for a little R&R myself---not work this time. And then we are on full speed ahead to get ourselves back for good.

So, what about the Naked Trees? When I left on October 25th, we were just passed "peak". As in "peak colors" and leaves everywhere. But yesterday, I went out for my morning ride and I was amazed at the change of scenery. Few trees had any leaves left. You could see through the forests. They (the trees) look like they have no clothes on. Funny to think that plants do just the opposite of humans. They take their clothes off when it gets cold. Today looks like the best day this week to ride and so after a bunch of housework, I will go for a long fall-almost-winter ride and then take Sydney out to the woods to run and romp in the crunchy leaves before it rains (tomorrow...and the next day...and the next day). Mike said I was lucky it was warm enough to not snow at least.

Have a wonderful Saturday!

No comments: