Thursday, January 01, 2009

Happy 2009!

I love January 1st. I always do. It's one day that I don't even care what the weather is like; it's the first day of a brand New Year---all full of hope and good intentions. Mike and I were asleep before the ball dropped in NYC. Pretty pathetic if you ask me---but we are hard pressed to stay awake much past night-fall! And the weather is fantastic here and so we were looking forward to nice New Year's Day out-of-doors festivities. When I asked Mike if he was making any resolutions he told me he absolutely wasn't and he never has and never will do anything so silly. I am not making any either---but I would like to run a marathon this year. Just need to figure out which one. Easy to say in January when the bike biz is less busy and I have time to train, but I will run the distance even if it isn't an event-style kind of marathon.

Speaking of which, I headed out into sunshine in my Newton kickers today and I ended up running with this gal who is almost 60. She was small and weathered and lean and mean. Been running in the high desert all her life. And she is fast, but steady. We ran a little over 5 miles together before we parted on our separate ways. Her name is Audra and she about killed me with the pace. But she gave me something to aspire to. I've seen her out there running almost everyday since we moved here. I know when the weather gets warmer I will be back on my bike---but I sure do like the simplicity of running. Just needing shoes and a road means this year while I am traveling, I can bring my shoes and run everywhere!

Speaking of which, I am heading out East in February---the circle of the year and visiting retailers will begin in a month. It will be interesting to see what the year holds for the bicycle business. This is a very different recession. But I am full of the New Year buzz (and a runner's buzz on top of that) and so I am looking forward to whatever the year has on offer.

I hope your New Year's celebrations were safe and happy! My folks are headed over the hill to visit in a couple of days. The snowy passes required a delay of the holidays for the Mehler gathering...

Happy New Year!

No comments: