Sunday, December 28, 2008

Snow hiking in the High Sierra

What do a couple of cyclists' do when it snows and snows and snows? Mike and I woke up December 25th to a very white Christmas that proceeded to get whiter as the morning progressed. We received about 6 inches, while the higher elevations received an upwards of 2 plus feet! Being the King of all shovelers, our driveway and sidewalk were clear before anyone else in the neighborhood---and Mike kept it pretty clear throughout the day.

Both of us are "trainer weary" after 3 years of living in a place with winter and so we've each found ways of getting our fix in the cold. Mike wears warmer (REALLY WARM) clothes and has a bike geared for messy roads, and I have rediscovered running and can run outside as long as I can find a stretch of ice free roads or fluffy crunchy snow. I started training for running in the late fall as I knew if I waited for it to get real cold, I wouldn't go out there once it got cold, and I can get 4 or 5 miles in everyday now. I bought a pair of Newton Running shoes in Hawaii (I know I've mentioned them before) and they have changed my running life and if anyone is interested in hearing about "fore-foot running" in the best shoes I have ever owned, give me a holler!

That said, there were no roads which were ridable or run-able on Christmas or the day after. SO---we went snow hiking with the Scrapper. She just loves the snow! And 2 hour hikes up and down the hills and golf courses and mountain peaks right next to our house give you a different kind of workout in the lovely mountain winter wonderland. We entertained ourselves and watched the 2003 complete Tour de France, and cooked a California-style Christmas dinner of tofu, pot-stickers, brown rice and LOTS of fresh vegies with some good wine, good beer and chocolate chip cookies! Just the two of us.

By yesterday, the roads were good enough to ride and run and so we enjoying the long holiday weekend in sunshine and milder temps with the snowy mountains everywhere we look. Last night we went and had dinner with some friends and celebrated their daughter's (and the Scrapper's new hound sitter) 10th birthday. All in all, one of the nicest holiday weekends I can remember.

My nephews are really enjoying Reno and the snow. All kids love snow. I like looking at it. And I know we need it. And I even love running in it. But I miss my bicycle. I may have to find my way over the hill and get to the Bay Area sometime in the next few weeks.

Happy Everything! Can't believe it is almost 2009! Hope you had a very nice holiday with family and friends.

No comments: