Saturday, January 03, 2009

Beautiful!

Oh my gosh it is so beautiful out today! We had a pretty incredible weather system come through yesterday. I think the wind blew at a steady 50 mph for 24 hours. Some of the gusts would literally "blow you away". Even Mike when he was walking the Scrapper out in the canyons he was almost "blown down". It's pretty incredible---this mountain weather. Mike actually went out riding in it---it was even spitting water and ice, but he left in the morning anyway, thinking the weather man was wrong. When I "got the call" a few hours later, I was hardly surprised. Not really a weather call---but a flat tire with a broken spare call.

The Scrapper and I left in the ice to the rescue and right as we climbed the hill back home the sky started spitting snow, ice and rain at the same time with a little bit of hail thrown in for good measure. We made homemade burritos and watched something silly on TV.

But this morning we woke up to a cold and beautiful day. Really beautiful. Like the sky is so blue you can't believe it isn't technicolor. And the air is so clean because anything that was in it was surely blown to the East. The streets were coated in ice this morning but the sun dried it up and out we both went. I ran out in the hills and canyons and as I would come up to any desert brush, a swarm of quail would fly up. My eyes were tearing from the cold, but the crispness of color was amazing. After 5 or so miles I picked up the Scrapper for the last mile or so to run with her. She really likes the cold weather (a lot more than her mom---though her Mom has a new appreciation for it now that she is running and not riding in it.)

In any case---I hope you are enjoying the first few days of the New Year! Happy Saturday!

No comments: