Tuesday, August 19, 2008

It's why they call them "jobs"...well sorta.

It's funny, because even as I type away, and put words to the computer screen, it sounds pretty fun. Visiting bike shops, hauling around some of the blingiest gear the industry has on offer, riding in different areas, and traveling with my husband. Could almost be a vacation---thus it makes the fact that it really is work and hard work at that, and makes folks roll their eyes when I say things like, "I am exhausted!" Exhausted from what? Vacation?!?!

I try and run things like a really tight ship though---and let me tell you what it's like informing my husband that he has work to do before he can go for a ride, and "no, I don't know where to go ride here---". Sigh. The mental challenge of it all is why I am mostly tired. And traveling with Mike has way more pluses than minuses. We are a good team, and we did get some fun riding in, between retailer visits. And the fact that the folks in the industry that I have chosen to work with are really some of the coolest folks around helps too!

Mike and I made the long drive from Reno to Seattle, a week ago last Sunday. It was a beautiful ride until we left Portland and hit the Seattle bound traffic for 90 miles. Made LA seem like cake. It really was that bad. But we arrived safe and sound and had a little apartment like setting for a couple of days right on the Microsoft campus in Redmond. Each morning before our meetings we rode around Lake Sammamish---a beautiful, yet densely populated, Marin-like setting, just North of Seattle. The traffic is horrible and there's not what I would call a bike-friendly road to be found. But it helped keep the day in tact if I didn't have an antsy Taylor who didn't ride, and it helped me to ride before work as well.

We stayed a night in Olympia to get out of the traffic before heading to Portland. Then a friend hooked us up in the now Pet-friendly Hilton (the Scrapper had her own doggie pillow, purse full of treats and stainless steel doggie dishes in the room), right in SW Portland, a block from the River, and Jack even treated us by taking us out to a lovely dinner at the oldest restaurant in Portland, Huber's. We were also enjoying lots of success in our Taylor-duo selling campaign. Did I mention that River City Bicycles is one of the coolest shops in the country? Did I also mention that a former co-worker from Palo Alto Bicycles, Ben Dodge, now works there? Small world.

From Portland, we headed to Bend for the weekend. We stayed with friends, rode up Mt. Bachelor, and enjoyed more success with our retailer there (we worked on Saturday and Sunday last weekend). On Sunday we headed to Boise, Idaho. A new town for both of us, and a really nice, clean and friendly little town. I had arranged our hotel right along the bike path that goes for 8 miles up and down the river, and into town. I liked Boise. The downtown is spotless with lovely architecture and the town is surrounded by mountains everywhere you look.

A busy week and there is no place like home. But you might see what I mean about the "job-thing". It sounds like all play when I write about it. I won't even begin to mention that in about a week we are heading to Southern California to do it all over again...

No comments: