Saturday, July 19, 2008

Some folks get company cars...


...but for me, the perks are different. I just built up my new "company" bicycle. A race-ready, light weight (14lbs and change) road machine that I will try to be worthy of. It was a hot one today---but this is my first weekend in many weeks where I wasn't traveling beforehand and Mike was here and we were a family home. Nice. We woke up early and contemplated going to Markleeville. We decided Friday evening if it was smokey here, we would head to the climbs...but if it looked ridable in Reno, we would watch the Tour Stage and then head out from home.

We woke up to a kind of haze---but I was so tired of traveling that even the thought of driving in a car to ride my bike felt like too much of a contradiction. So we watched the Tour and suited up and I didn't care about the smokey haze, the heat, the road work being done on my favorite road to my climb or anything. It just felt good to head out into the sunshine on a new lightweight racing machine, after a relaxing morning with Mike and the Scrapper

This little Ridley is the exact same bike Mike rides---only in miniature. I may not ride like a racer, but I was dressed in the finest cycling clothing money can buy (yes---biased as they get, and yes, Campagnolo is all over me) on a fast race bike and I had nothing to do but ride for hours.

I had a date when I got back with Mike for a sushi feast, courtesy of my brother/sister and nephews, and so life is pretty good today. New bike, new clothes and lots of food after a long hot ride.

I am heading out on Tuesday and will be gone for the week in the San Francisco Bay Area, including a Grand Opening Party of a new Bicycle Studio in San Francisco. At least this trip will include a long over due Movie Night with Mom---It is looking like I will be away more than home for the rest of the summer, but after this trip, Mike will be with me as well. Otherwise I would never see him. I am already counting the days to a relaxing week in the Fall in Marshall.

No comments: