Sunday, June 01, 2008

Nice Bike!

The road biking scene is full of folks who you might say are a little "full of themselves" about their bikes and their gear. The latest and greatest, lightest and fastest, and of course prettiest and coordinated fashion stylists' - that's about the gist of it. The helmets have to match the outfits, which have to compliment the bar-tape. The seat-post must match the bars and stems and the tires ought to be the color of the bicycle decals ---if they are not black. It's ridiculous really---but I am guilty of all of the above and then some.

I look fast even if I am not fast---and it makes me feel fast which is all that matters if you don't race. It's really a weird kind of "club", but one I am happy to be a part of. And the funny thing in all this is that it is "good for you". How many things in life, which bring you so much joy, can you say that about?

Today, after all our jobs, I headed out into the Nevada sunshine, on my own prized little machine, to explore the roads I know so well, but which look different each time I ride on them. The recent rains have brought lots of green to the hillsides and Mt. Rose is still snow-capped. The quail couples are out in full force, and the desert blossoms are blossoming as they should. Baby cows, baby burro's, and even baby ostriches are all out in the pastures which surround the ranches which hug the mountains. It's lovely.

So as I was heading home after the last climb into Caughlin Ranch, there was a Mom with her two daughters and the little girl's were learning to ride their bikes. One was on training wheels and one was on a tricycle. Even at the young ages, these gal's were all matching pink and purple, with sunglasses, helmets and shorts and handlebar streamers. The one on the tricycle was all grins as I rode past---her blonde ringlets blowing in the wind and a big grin from ear to ear. She smiled and waved and said "Nice Bike", as I rode by. I couldn't help but smile back and told her that her bike was pretty sweet too!

You know that when a little 3 year old thinks your bike looks pretty cool, that you have the "look" down! Nice bike! Made my day!

No comments: