Saturday, June 28, 2008

Fantastico!

Just a minute really to catch my breath! Italy was fabulous! How to catch up before it is only a memory? Not sure, since when I arrived home, I had a meeting first thing in the morning with our Italian Helmet company and then yesterday we had meetings with our Belgian Bike company. So no time. Sigh.

The new Campagnolo Apparel looks really great and we will have an 11-speed piece of the collection to celebrate the Campagnolo Components new Super Record/11-Speed Gruppo. In any case, this year I made it to Italy in time to go on the mini "Grand Fondo". I was the only women, but the second one up the climbs. I think all this living at altitude has had some positive affects. All the "guys" were worried, so I knew I would be OK, as they would wait for me. "There are some big hills, Joni. We will wait for you!" Since I am used to riding with really talented athletes here in the USA I was happy for this reassurance. Plus we had our own little tifosi as well as a follow vehicle for support.

In any case, I had trouble holding wheels on the flat and fast sections, but as soon as we hit the first climb, it was just me and the Italian bike racer at the top. We waited for the other 40 guys. Pretty cool! So I did my country proud! (smile). And luckily I knew the word "Attraversiamo" so I knew when it was time to cross over. I did almost crash on one of the twisty descents, but luckily I was far enough ahead of everyone that no one saw my "stumble".

Afterwards we went to dinner at a gorgeous Trattoria in Vicenza and ate course after course of local specialities. After the fashion show, I went to Treviso. Like last year, but this time I stayed in a hotel where "some" English is spoken.

Treviso is a lovely walled-city...and my hotel was on the "road to Venice". It was nice to have a weekend to relax and explore and Paola took me to a locals' only dinner with two of her Italian friends who are in the Rags Industry who just returned from Milano. This restaurant literally turns you away if you are not from the neighborhood.

after a day spent with Paola at the factory, it was time for me to leave. I am getting ready now to take my Belgian supplier on a ride in California Alps country as long as the smoke clears...which is doubtful. Sigh.

Really a fantastic time. I am off to New York next Sunday---then Boston and Denver...I am more excited to see Gibson and Teens and the old gang at Seven. I miss them more than I really thought I would. Funny how some people touch your lives in a profound way---and you are never the same person. And also how time changes your perspective. But is will be exciting to launch the apparel in Manhattan. And if all goes well, I will finally see some of my cousin Sharon's artwork in person. ( http://sjfnewyork.blogspot.com/ )

Ciao Ciao! (Pictures will have to wait...)

No comments: