Saturday, May 24, 2008

Weather rollercoaster

I bet I write more about the weather than anything else. As an outdoor enthusiast, I suppose the weather always figures into my day---and as a cyclist---not only the temperature, but also the wind and precipitation also factor in. Last weekend it was so hot that I was riding my bike in a sleeveless jersey and shorts. I can count on my hands the times I wore this get-up in all my cycling years in the paradise of the Bay Area---so it really was amazing. By Wednesday morning I was already riding in Ski-gloves and 4 layers and by Thursday I left in my coldest weather Lobster gloves, full on winter riding wear and hit snow-flurries once I ventured into California and up the Dog Valley road climb. It is the lunatic-fringe of Spring.

Friday was the first day since we moved here that it actually rained most of the day. My first day off the bike in 14 days---so I just enjoyed the day off as a rest-day. Still, although my Minnesota-husband ventured outside today on his cross-bike, I opted for an inside ride on the trainer. Since these days are rare---I even enjoyed it (though not as much as pedaling outside). Just didn't want to muck-up my new drive-train.

We are having a houseful of guests this coming week. My Mom and Dad will be here on Monday for my Dad's annual "Reno Soft-ball" tournament. I love it when they describe the guys playing. My Dad will say "You know the guy", while talking about some amazing play by one of his teammate's, "he's the old fat guy who's kinda of bald!" My Mom will say, "that describes everyone out there Bobby! Can you be more specific". Then they chuckle together.

They will move from our place into the hotel of the "team's" and then we are having my friend's from my old SGI days, Bill & Gaby Hillinger who are visiting from Austria. Mike and I stayed with them at their house in Muenchendorf on one of our European biking excursions, before we left for Innsbruck (and the heavenly riding in the Austrian Alps!) and they are now visiting the USA and will stay with us briefly before heading back home. Bill's kids were 3 & 5 years old when I first visited them in Austria. Now they are all grown up and in University. My folks will perhaps stay with us again on Thursday night after the tournament and then head home. Mom will hopefully have her blood count high enough for a round of chemo on Saturday. She's doing well and is amazing really. (Thanks to everyone who asks...it does my heart good!)

And so--even though it is cold (high 50's) and there is snow dusting the mountains around me, I am surely enjoying the long Memorial Day weekend. I am reading a book called Mary (it is the story of Abe Lincoln's wife) and there is nothing like a cold day, a cup of tea and good book to read.

Happy Saturday!

No comments: