Sunday, December 16, 2007

Bay Area and Back


If I didn't stop to see you---well it was a business trip, but I just returned from a few days in the lovely San Francisco Bay Area. Even in Paradise, there is a flaw---too many people. Top that off with the gas-guzzler I was renting for the trip (room for bikes and other soft-goods) and I felt like all the folks I criticize regularly. My carbon foot-print is doomed for a while---and yet it was a successful trip. (That doesn't make it OK. I am harder on myself than I am on other people---who I can't do anything about anyway---when it comes to being a custodian of the planet---and successful trip or not, I am not going to travel like a glutton again!) I choose a 4x4 as I didn't want to deal with chains on the passes if need be.

But back to "paradise", when I called my Mom & Dad to invite myself over, my Dad mentioned that my Mom's CA19 numbers were up (don't ask---I don't know what it is exactly, but when it goes up everyone is worried). They had a doctor's appointment that afternoon and so by the time I arrived they would have some news.

I was a little worried initially---but as I began the climb over Donner Pass I was distracted by how beautiful it was. Snow covered peaks and baby blue clear skies. It is breath-taking. I put in the Cowboy Junkies and sang loudly. On the descent, the snow disappeared and it was green and lush and fabulous. How could my Mom be sick? I prayed a little---if nothing else, praying makes me feel like whatever "it" is, I will be able to handle it.

When I arrived home, everyone was all smiles. The challenge is that the medical community doesn't know exactly what's up. Not many people with the kind of cancer my mom has, have survived "going on 4 years". She is going in for a CATSCAN---but the doctor's say she needs a break from chemo to let her body heal. And 4 months off of chemo has my Mom grinning from ear to ear. So we shall see. She looks great---she even came out to the track with me while I ran and she walked.

And I got to be a spoiled only child (Daddy's little girl and Mommy's little girl all at once!) for a few days. Top that off with some end of the year successful retailer visits and it was a nice trip to Paradise.

When I got back to Reno, Mike was out riding in the much cooler air. I didn't want to get charged for another day, and when Mike wasn't going to be able to get me for awhile, I walked home. Mike picked me up about 3 miles from home (we're about 11 miles from the airport.) Reno rules!

Happy Sunday!

No comments: