Monday, July 16, 2007

TdF Commericals

...and now a word from our sponsor's! The Tour de France could take some hints from the Tour of California with respect to commercial choices. I loved the "if you were snow, where would you want to fall" commercials from the race in the golden state. Let's break it down:

Enzyte - Male enhancement---"ask Bob why he is smiling?" He loves the big lift he gets from Enzyte--Plus the topical rush special.
Cialus - or "See Alice". ED issues. Enough said.
Honda - Get off the couch and go drive a motorcycle (Sit on another seat and pollute the air for fun)
Petra Cornicova's Hp computer that she carries around all her magazine cover girl photo's on, and sends photo's underwater to all her friends.

If I had kids and they were watching the tour with me (which they would be), how does one explain these products? The only one's that are OK are the Specialized and Cervelo commercials. The Michelob Ultra's/Miller High Life aren't bad----and the Saab ones "Fly to the Finish" are all right too. Even the local commercials, which you probably aren't subject too, since they are fairly local specific are really bad.

One might say, "Joni, why are you watching the TdF all day long? (Get out and ride your own bike!) Well of course I am [out there riding my own bike], in between the Tour (and the various repeats of the Tour). I guess I am not the "intended audience" for the commercials. I would have thought that perhaps more focus would have been made for the carbon foot-print, international travel, adventure-seeking type audience would have been impressed upon. That, and of course the "weather".

Speaking of weather---I got a good 8 hours in the saddle this weekend. It was hot and dry. Happy Monday! Happy Birthday Tom!

No comments: