Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Happy July 4th!

That I started my day with a bike ride will not surprise anyone. Even though it's supposed to be 103 degrees---the Taylor's ride anyway. Thought I'd take you along for a spin by bringing my camera. The road to the State line was dotted with cyclists today. I was spinning (easy day) and so I get out of the way and all the fast guys pass me. Then a chubby older woman on a hybrid wearing running shorts and tennis shoes passed me. Hmmmm?! I caught up to her on one of the little climbs. She was riding on an older mixte type hybrid with some kind of aero-bar contraption set-up. She can only hold one water-bottle and so she had to re-fill on water at the middle school. Nothing about her looked fit or strong---but "looks" on a bicycle are deceptive. I used her as my inspiration. We parted at the Dog Valley climb to Henness Pass Road.

Anytime I think I need a little bit of California, I ride this route and cross the California State line. I tried to ride the unpaved gravel part---but it is not very suited to a road bike. Mostly for the descent. As I looped over the railroad tracks and over the Truckee River, I headed towards Boomtown. The housing development is interesting; 500K+ housing developments on one side and mobile homes on the other. There is a small abandoned community church in the middle of nowhere. A few houses away is a very interesting house with a bear carved out of wood. And in the middle of Verdi, NV there is an "Italian Car Only" parking space.

Just up the road in Mogul, there is a completely different stone church with nothing but a sign which says "The River" on it.

The 4th of July---a time to reflect on everything that America is, and to celebrate all she has to offer! We are such fortunate people to live here. Mike took me out for "All you can eat Sushi" and we officially celebrated our Anniversary, the 4th of July, and Nevada. It is hotter than you know what today---Happy Independence Day! Be safe!

One day I will upgrade my laptop and be able to download the photo's I took. Sigh!

No comments: