Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Ode de Fume!

As in it's smokey out there! With the temps reaching or nearing the century mark for over a week, it's hot (dry hot---but hot!) out there. And the dry part is what's stirring up trouble. Lightening strikes have caused some fires to the South, North (Northwest) and East of Reno. No wind has meant that the fire-fighting efforts are helped...but the air quality is awful! Feels and looks like the smoggy LA basin---think Redlands! Smells like an ash-tray. So I have something new to complain about (thank goodness for that!)

Yesterday things were looking up and so I went for a morning ride before work. But then, yesterday---with the lightening storms, some new fires must have picked up as we woke up to the worst smelling day thus far. Sigh. Summers everywhere but San Francisco are becoming my least favorite season. I don't mind the heat --- but the fires make it so unhealthy to exercise outside, that it might as well be winter. I'll quit whining, because I still like it better than the humidity we had to live with last year. It is far from "oppressive heat"---and that is what we had in Boston. (100 degrees; feels like 90 as opposed to 89 degrees; feels like 100!)

The Tour has at least taken the bite off the fires. Some pretty amazing racing already---and there is nothing like waking up early and flipping on the TV for some live coverage of bike racing. And true to form, the Tour doesn't disappoint---and again I am in awe of what these skinny guys can do on a bicycle.

I hope you are enjoying your summer---I may not love the fires---but I do love being out West this year! One of the best things (about being home again) is being near friends---like the Prion's who stopped by the Sinclair Factory on their way to Crested Butte on Friday and who will stop by our house on their way back home this weekend. Lilly is already walking. You miss this stuff when you are far far away! Happy Wednesday!

No comments: