Sunday, April 29, 2007

Mt. Rose Highway & Boy Scout Troop 7322

As the crow flies, Mt. Rose is "just over there". Mike quickly discovered the bike routes over to the two big climbs in Reno--Geiger and Mount Rose. It's the same route, either way---but you head West to climb Rose and East to climb Geiger. The desert winds were forecasted for the afternoon, and even though I got on the road a little after 8am---I knew that riding home into the wind might just put me over the edge. Right now I've worked myself up to 4 hour rides...but I'm still acclimating to the altitude and I begin to lose it after 4 hours. Throw in some wind and I begin to wonder why I even like riding my bike.

It took me over an hour to get to the Mt. Rose highway---but what a wonderful ride it was! There are llamas, donkeys, ostriches, work horses, wild mustangs and various cattle ranches that entertain you along the route. It's a steady grade up (steady grade up is what I call a grinder), but the million dollar homes with the million dollar views takes your mind off the work.

In the distance you can see the snowy peaks behind the big old brown mountain ranges. It looks like a godzilla movie---where you see all the big buildings and then towering over the big buildings is an even bigger monster. Given the wind direction (and my out-of-shapeness), I decided to go up Mount Rose. There's still snow up there...and traffic, but I wasn't up for an over 4 hour ride after yesterday (Geiger Pass is easier, but the ride home would be pure headwind).

Sigh. I wonder if I will ever acclimate? It's hard to explain. I used to be able to climb out of the saddle for hours. Not the most efficient way to climb (my husband re-emphasized this to me again and again). But I love it. It's like lifting weights without it feeling like exercise. I can't do it here. My legs are fine; I gasp for oxygen. Each and every time I make an effort, I am fine---but then I sit down and it hits me like someone punched me in the stomach. I even make "grunting" sounds -- not very attractive. Granted---my lack of riding in Boston didn't help. Patience, another sigh.

At about 7000' the air gets even thinner and the shoulder disappeared completely. Snow on the sides of the road makes for an even smaller piece of real estate to ride a bike on. I could see for miles and miles in every direction. And given the picking up of the wind speed and the traffic---I'd decided that I'd seen enough! Ha!

On my way home I ventured off on a side road that meandered passed more mansions. I think a bunch of golfers must live up here---there are "Greens" everywhere---and mansions galore! Who knew?

Just as I arrived back at our home on the hill, I spied an Army Black Hawk flying overhead! Local Boy Scout Troop 7322 was presenting "American Hero's" at the nearby Middle School. K-9 & SWAT Team members, along with some of the dedicated men and women in the U.S. Armed Forces were answering questions. Smokejumpers, Navy Rescue Helicopter pilots, US Forest Rangers, Firemen, Search & rescue and more. What a way to top a Sunday afternoon, huh?

No comments: