Wednesday, April 18, 2007

A Mt. Hamilton Ride

One of my favorite rides is to head up to the Mt. Hamilton Observatory in San Jose. By car it is a twisty ride...The Scrapper once got car sick when she was helping me in the feedzone for the 2004 Mt. Hamilton Road Race. By bike it is still twisty--challenging but fun...20 miles up to 4500' or so---and at the top you can see the entire Silicon Valley. On Monday morning, before heading back to Reno, Mike and I headed up. We rode from my folks house and had to stop at the post office to mail our taxes.

We rode our bikes to the post-office and when we got there of course there was a line out the door (even though we were early). I could see the frustration on Mike's face and so I told him to ride on and I would stand in line and I would follow. (Knowing of course my ride would be cut short...) Once I got the "post mark" on my forms I headed South and East. The first mile at the bottom has a little bit of traffic (but nothing really compared to out East) and after that you're pretty much car free for the next 19 miles up to the observatory.

Living at altitude for the last few weeks has made my riding iffy-at-best. My legs are fine...but it's like breathing through a straw and so my lung power is weaker. And the recovery time is tough---because you're always in the lack of oxygen zone. So I figured I was really out of shape and going slow. I didn't feel like I was as smooth or something. I don't know. It wasn't hard at all---just not snappy.

But it was lovely and warm and quiet and beautiful. So I just enjoyed the ride and the views and figured any minute now my racer husband would come screaming down the hill and I would have to turn around. I passed Grant park (which is further than I thought I'd get), and just kept plugging away on the Ridley machine. Up and up and soon I was passing the 6 miles to go bridge. Hmmm? Where was Taylor? It starts to get steeper here. And windy. And even cool (dare I say cold? Nope!). Finally---maybe a mile and a half later I see my Giant Strawberry heading down.

"Wow sweetie...you're climbing good!" Were the first words out of his mouth. I started way behind him and almost made it to the top shortly after him. So I think there is something to this altitude stuff. I didn't feel like I was snappy or climbing well...but I was faster than I thought. Maybe it was my new Ridley Helium ultra cool bike? I don't know. I will say that I had a buzz and lots of energy the whole time I was in California. Like a permanent feel-good-buzz. BUT...I rode every day and I love it there and I was energized seeing all my peeps! And this altitude stuff is I think more of a recovery thing--according to Jeff Angerman (Discovery Masters Rider and Sports Medicine Doc here in Reno). Anyway---it's interesting.

No comments: