Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Sea Otter & Santa Cruz Crit

To some of you, this photo just looks like a couple of handsome guys hanging out in the Ridley booth at the 2007 Sea Otter. To this girl though, this photo means I am home! Two of my favorite people on earth! The Sea Otter was a mixed bag for the Sinclair folks---Mostly the weather (sun, wind and rain). When your in the dirt with an expensive lot of Campagnolo clothing, rain can be a big buzz-kill. But for me it was a winner because Alan joined us for a day. My first venture out of the booth and I head to the BIG air jumping dare-devils! Those guys are incredible. But even more incredible was spotting Alan with his iPod watching the brave guys on bikes. I immediately felt like I was HOME!

On Saturday, the rain came and we had a mudslide coming into our booth with thousands of dollars of Campy clothing about to get ruined. So we loaded up and salvaged most of it and headed out. Mike and I were staying in a lovely cottage (belonging to a dear friend of mine, JR, from my SGI days) on the 17 mile drive. We cleaned up, took a nap and awoke to sunshine and went for a ride! We enjoyed the million dollar views, the lone cypress and Big Sur and then decided to race on Sunday in Santa Cruz!

Santa Cruz was Mike's second race ever when he was a cat 4 or 5 in 1992---the old Pepsi-Cola challenge (or something like that).
He won the race as a cat 3...but hasn't done the race in a few years. He hasn't raced in field this large in about a year...and it's been a LONG time since he raced with a field of so many guys---110 guys lined up for the Pro 1/2 race on this breezy but warm Santa Cruz day. California Blue Skies. I saw friends I hadn't seen in 2 years. One of the best days I'd had in almost as long! Terry, Sarah, Tim Noakes, Dave Jueng---and the whole Strawberry Team (Worm, Mattis, Briggs, Eric Wohlberg...Andy Jaques-Maynes...the list goes on and on!). Anyway---this is too much to take in for a real race report. But Mike finished strong (15th) in the hugely talented and deep field. Not bad for his first big race of the season!

No comments: