Sunday, April 13, 2008

Just like summer!




I've been in somewhat of a non-writing mood lately. Very strange. Even though nothing is really "wrong", it just hasn't felt right either and since I can't really discuss what's up, it is hard for me to discuss "anything". So---lots of silence from me. Nothing to worry about. I have my health, my family and their health and my "just turned 40" husband. But anytime you start a conversation that way, you keep waiting for the "and yet..." part.

But I am not accustomed to feeling down in the dumps. So I haven't written. I also don't stay this way for long since it doesn't come natural for me. So all is well, but this is why I haven't been writing.

Mike and I and a friend headed to Markleeville on Saturday. 74 degrees, no wind and. In other words it was perfect. Ebbetts is still closed to cars (at the first gate even), but this was the first weekend that Monitor was open and plowed! 10-12 foot cuts in the snow, but ridable in shorts and short sleeved jerseys! When I saw how much snow there was on Monitor, I headed over to climb car-free Ebbetts---thinking that there would even be more snow, and knowing that I only had so many miles in my legs and I didn't want to miss Ebbetts because I was out of gas. Mike and Jeff headed over to the other side of Monitor and rode both ways. Studs!.

When I passed the first gate of the Ebbetts climb---there was NO snow really. More on Monitor oddly enough. I love this climb. Mike likes Monitor better, but for me the twisty turns and 11,000 foot mountain peaks surrounding the climb are so spectacular. Even if the road was a sandbox, riding up with no cars is such a treat! I passed the 7,000' foot gate and there were some 4' cuts in the snow drifts, but nothing like Monitor.

Another 800' feet or so though and the road just stopped. Unplowed and no way up. I will have to go back in a couple of weeks to get to the top.

And with the way the snow is melting, I imagine Ebbetts will be open next weekend.

Today was about 80 degrees and I went out again on the local roads for about 4.5 hours. Gotta get in shape to ride up the passes.

So---it has been awhile, but I wish you all a happy Sunday. Happy for the sunshine and expect some changes for these Taylor's in the not so distant future.

No comments: