Sunday, March 30, 2008

A year in one place!

This may not sound like much to most...but these two bike-riding Taylor's have not lived in one place for a year in over three years now. So it is a big milestone---even if we don't know how long it will last. We arrived here in town about a year ago. I think Mike even raced at the UNR race about a year ago today...or yesterday. In some ways that feels like a lifetime ago---and in other ways it feels like we are still newbies here in town.

And just like when we arrived, the wind has been blowing. And blowing. Marshall-style wind---but with mountains to give the gusts a bit of a boost. Last week, on one of the windy nights, we were watching some nonsense on TV after dinner and the house shook. At first I thought it was just the wind...but in fact it was an earthquake and we must be right near the epicenter. Because the floor & furniture really shook. Third one in the last couple of weeks---so probably more to come.

As a NorCal girl, earthquakes are in my blood. And what I remember most about them, is that the more it shakes, the more they come. Unlike a hurricane or a volcano (which erupts or blows through and then there is calm), earthquakes tend to be the more you feel them, the more often they shake. Hmmm...???

I spent last Thursday and Friday in the Bay Area working. One of my shops was hosting a "ladies night" and I was co-star with Shelia Moon. Fun. But always those miles over the pass set me back and I am exhausted. There was a time when I could do this late night/all-day stuff---no problem. Now I get tired with the 8 hours in the car (round trip). But it was fun staying at my folks for a night. Sometimes the Bay Area seems really crowded to me. When I am going and staying long enough to get some paradise riding in, it seems less crowded. But when all I am doing is working, I am reminded of just how crowded it is. And was happy to be back home in the less populated high desert town.

Happy Sunday!

No comments: