Saturday, November 08, 2008

Running...

I could try and play catch up and talk about so many meaningful things that have occurred over the last few weeks, but instead I just returned from a nice long run and I am "run-buzzed" and feel like talking about how incredibly beautiful, albeit cold, it is today! And most importantly, why cold is fine when you run, and did I mention my new swanky running shoes? Ha!

Last night Mike and I went to see my nephew Daniel's season final football game. Between all the travel, Daniel being sick, and then last minute travel again, this was the only football game I was able to make this year. His team went undefeated and Daniel played the whole time. He plays offensive Guard. He's suddenly tall and lanky and has size 15 shoes. And he's beautiful...but he's on this list and doesn't need to hear his old proud Aunt saying stuff like this....uh hmmm...

So aside from hanging out with the Mehler clan and Greg, Kristine's brother from San Diego, what caught my eye was the "Lancer Blue" rubber (all-weather) running track! It is pristine and looks brand new and overlooks the downtown area with a full view of big mountains everywhere you look. Running at a mile high is hard enough when you're running up and down hills in the neighborhood. Top that off with hard pavement and it's a bit discouraging.

Well, this morning, I put on my new Newton running shoes which are fabulous, by the way, and headed back to the high-school to try out that track! Wow! I don't know if it is the shoes, the track, the views or a combination, but I am especially buzzed right now. I had to stop at 4.5 miles because I want to do it again tomorrow and I am on a slow build up training plan with these new shoes and can't over-due it.

In any case, this seems a bit mundane compared to the historical election and newfound hope and such renewed pride in my country, but I just had to write about it anyway.

Have a wonderful Saturday!

1 comment:

Tory said...

Hi Joni,

I'm Tory - and I work for Newton Running in Boulder. Just saw your post about your Newton Running shoes, and thought I'd say thanks for the kind words. It's good to know that you're breaking in your new shoes slowly, and that you're having such great runs so far.

If there's ever a question that arises, feel free to contact me at tory@newtonrunning.com, and I'd be happy to help. The snow is to start falling here tonight, and I'd have to agree that running in the cold is fantastic. Take care and run strong!

Tory