Saturday, May 12, 2007

Northern Nevada Love

It's like everyday, I wake up and feel like I am on vacation! Not sure if it's the West, the mountains or the perfect weather, or what. The air is so clean that you can smell how clean it is. Mountain air. When we first arrived here we were thirsty all the time. It's the elevation combined with the dry air (it averages between 5% and 20% humidity), I guess. But now we're more like camels and don't need to drink so much.

I think getting out and riding everyday also helps you acclimate to the thinner air. The only time I notice the elevation now is when I'm out walking the steep terrain with the Scrap---I can climb out of the saddle on the bike and don't get thrashed anymore---4 hour rides are no problem---and the climbs are everywhere! It's like a cyclist's Disneyland!

I don't think I will ever get tired of waking up to these mountains that surround us. They're everywhere I look. The sun rises over them in the East and then sets in the evening to the West. There's no "plop" into the Pacific Ocean---it just sets over the Sierra's. But there is no haze or smog and everyday there is blue sky above, with the pink and orange hues in the morning and the evening.

Mike and I are headed to Markleeville again tomorrow. The next best thing to "being there" is to Thank God for our Mom's on top of the big California Alpine Peaks! Happy Mother's Day! Happy Saturday.

No comments: