Monday, March 19, 2007

A "Happy" pill!

Luckily for us, cycling is a sport you can participate in for most of your life. I remember when I was spending so much time in The Netherlands, and for that matter most of Europe, and you'd see folks in their 80's and 90's out pedaling away. I knew yesterday that a ride was all my grumpy husband needed. That and a nap.

Anyway---the reason that this is lucky (this being cycling into old age) is because the after-effects of going for a ride is along the lines of taking a "Happy" pill. I always knew that it worked for me---but the difference it makes in MT is equally as strong. When we first started going out, some 7+ years ago, we were both riding so many miles---250-400 a week and more, that we were both so perpetually happy it wasn't funny. Since I first got into cycling, I've ridden less miles this year than I like to think about. In fact I barley did 10,000 miles.

We were smarter this time. Riding is in our job description. Or at least "time to ride" is. And the new mountainous terrain, and good weather in Central/Northern Nevada is conducive to some epic rides for sure.

Mike is much happier today. We got most of the heavy stuff downstairs. No more stairs for this girl. The only climbing and descending I plan on doing will be on my bicycle. We're picking up the truck tomorrow evening (they weren't open until 11am on Wednesday, so I need to try and get a free day since we are picking up at closing on Tuesday for their sake.)

I haven't felt like writing this much since we got here. I usually write when I'm happy. So this is a good sign.

Wild wild wild West. It's like having a happy pill!

No comments: