Saturday, October 21, 2006

Coming home

Just writing these words is exciting. My Dad is picking me up at the airport. (grin) I haven't seen my folks since the wedding. My Mom's birthday is tomorrow and we'll have a be-lated birthday party...just the three of us (or four us if Layne can join in). There is so much on my plate while I am home and I think I mapped everything out and I will have ~1, 700 miles of driving to do (ugh)...but my bike shipped to Palo Alto Bicycles and Alan is going to give it some long over-due love and I am going to head out and get some California miles in these legs at last!

Sad news was that a dear person, friend died last week. Jay Shively, who is from Spingfield, Minnesota (yes Diane and Dave---the Springfield right near Marshall and his family is still there) died of a heart attack in his sleep. We know Jay from being a customer of Palo Alto Bicycles. He became Mike's friend ( and mine) and even sponsored Mike when we went to Europe (personal sponsor). He was beyond just a genuine, generous, Minnesota nice and wonderful person. He was young (50) and has (had) a wife and three small beautiful children. Adam called me at work yesterday to let me know. Sigh. Been thinking about it ever since and my heart goes out to Lisa (his wife) and the kids.

Today Mike is heading to Connecticut to do a cross race. I am staying home as I also have a visitor. Chris Insinger is in Boston (my friend from SGI who is from The Netherlands). He now lives in Singapore but the corporate offices of his company are in Boston and so he is here on business and we will visit. Lots going on...

The leaves are now spectacular. Never seen anything quite like it. The reds, bronze, oranges, yellows, and all the variations in between. Quite a sight to behold. It dumped rain yesterday---but today it is clear as a bell! I will try and get a ride in this afternoon. See you soon!

Happy Saturday!

No comments: