Tuesday, April 25, 2006

The need to Get Lost!

The need to Get Lost!

I'm back! Well, sort of. The fact is that I've yet to arrange for internet at home and so I've been "email-free...cable free and land-line less" since we arrived here in Watertown, MA, over a month ago. But I've been thinking about you...and putting my pen to paper as opposed to my fingers to the key-pad. I will catch you up eventually---it's been quite a month! But today was a special day.

Why? Today, my mission for the day was to get sufficiently lost on my bike. I've been running instead of riding, because the curvy, unmarked roads haven't felt too inviting---specially since I haven't had a plethora of time to kill. That said, and with the warming trend, and the sore legs from running, I knew I had to get familiar with my new digs ---and sooner as opposed to later would be good. So after we finished a bunch of jobs in the morning, I suited up--filled up the familiar water-bottles, packed my pockets full of snacks and a map, kissed my hound and husband good-bye, and headed West (my favorite direction).

Even when the wind is blowing out here, you are so sheltered by the woods and trees and rolling terrain, that it doesn't really matter much. Probably the year on the windy prairie has changed my mind about what a really windy day is anyway. I rolled out of Watertown, through Belmont. Once I passed the DeCordova Museum (very very cool place); it was into Thoreau territory...and Walden Pond! It's like riding through a 5th grade American History book. All those places, events and people that I remember reading about in grade school come alive like old friends or acquaintances. Weird huh?

When I arrived in Concord, the quaint little town was a bustle in a Saturday kind of way. A little like Los Gatos or Saratoga. But the one thing that I realize, and my Mom put it best---New England is very much like New England. Many places throughout my travels across this country always remind me of places I'm familiar with. But New England and it's colonial-history is very distinct. And lovely. And not like any other place I've lived. The closet comparison that I can think of is England and the English country-side.

It's also funny. If I was working this hard anywhere else, doing anything else, I'd be overwhelmed. And even though I'm working alot, it's very different than any other job I've had. My job makes sense with everything else in my life now. Congruency.

And now---I am no longer lost.

No comments: