Sunday, May 10, 2009

Happy Mother's Day and stuff!

I am a BIG fan of Mom's. Mom's rule and have very hard jobs. I have a Mom I was born with, and one that came as a BIG bonus when I got married. I feel very blessed. I spent the weekend riding my bike up really hard climbs and scenic passes and snow-capped peaks with frozen Alpine Lakes with my favorite person in the whole world. We treated ourselves to a day in the California Alps on Saturday. It was the first day that Highway 4 (a.k.a. as Ebbetts Pass at 8730') was open and I think I saw 8 cars and 18 cyclists and whole lot of nothing else. The roads were spotless and clean---I expected way more sand, but the Road Workers did a fabulous job making the roads clean and safe.

The Carson River was running hard and fast and there were many kayakers along the river. Lots of white-water...looked a little scary. One of them commented to me that I was crazy to ride up the passes. I said maybe---but that she was crazy to ride the water rapids of a fast-snow-melt river! I thought of both of my Mom's when I made it to the top. I didn't know it was possible to go as slow as I was going without tipping over---specially right passed Alpine Lake. I hoped Minnesota Mom was doing something fun and California Mom was having a good day even though she is back on chemo.

Mike and I took each other out for a nice dinner and then headed to Trader Joe's since we were on that side of town. It was a great Saturday. Today was more of the same, but with less climbing and more chores---and a lovely run in the canyons. If I could only swim, I might sound very Tri-sporting-like. (Ha!)

We also have been enjoying watching the Giro di Italia live on Universal Sports. Which reminds me. I leave for Venice, Italy on June 16th. It's that time of year again and I have my tickets booked. Venice, Vicenza and Treviso, Campagnolo, of course. One of the best things is that on the way back from Italy, I have a 13 hour lay-over in Atlanta. Now some might see this as a real pain in the rear. BUT---I have special cousins there who I haven't seen in far too long. So when I called and said, "Hey Larry, I will be in Atlanta on way home from Italy for 13 hours---can we have dinner?" He rolled out the Southern charm and said he'd come and get me! YAYAYAYA!!

In two weeks I head to Los Altos (California) for a Women's cycling/fitness event. I am bringing Mike (he's a crowd pleaser with the girl's and I use whatever it takes to get folks in my booth). It should be fun!

New York was absolutely fabulous--as was Greenwich, CT. I walked from the Upper West side (87th Ave), to Chelsea and to the United Nations Building! In fact I did all of my account visits by foot! Hugh Jackman wears Campagnolo Sportswear by the way---if it was appropriate to take pictures and ask for autographs without looking like a tool---I would be posting some pretty sweet pictures here. Plus, I don't have a very good camera---(or I would at least be posting pictures of a little cousin-reunion in New Jersey!)

But I digress---all I really wanted to say was Happy Mother's Day to every Mom out there---and especially to MINE!! I love you both very very much!

No comments: