Saturday, March 14, 2009

Running in the wind!

Mike and I have been enjoying a lovely early spring in Reno. In a world of "worrisome news", it's amazing to have such glorious days. We've had some beyond belief, absolutely fabulous ones weather-wise. And anyone who has been reading me for any amount of time, knows that I talk about the weather more than I should. So really beautiful days, day after day after day, have given me a lot less to write about in the complaint department!

And after a week of staying put at home, catching up on bills and sleep, and getting back in my groove, I am refreshed enough to hit the road and the friendly skies again tomorrow. I leave for a week in Seattle and Portland. Ah, the glorious Pacific Northwest! And true to form, rain and cloudy weather prevail. It looks like a storm is brewing in the Pacific just in time for my trip! It'll give me something to complain about. The fact is, both of the cities are beautiful ones. And if you time it right, and you get to glimpse Mt. Ranier, Mt. St. Helen's, Hood and Baker, they will for sure take your breath away. Now that I live in the high desert, a little bit of rain on the random road trip hardly bothers me anymore.

And the reason? Running. I can run in the snow, the rain, the cold and the desert wind. I can run on business trips and I only have to bring my Newton running shoes!!! This may sound like a dumb thing to use exclamation points with, but I have to say that my rekindled running-love has changed my life. Business trips would really stress me out when I would miss so many days off the bike. But now, I find myself opting out of bike rides to go for a long run. I still love the bike. It doesn't beat me up so much. But when you can't sneak out for 2+ hours, gearing up in all the cold weather gear, versus throwing on some sweats and a hoodie and some running shoes sure is a nice option!

So---I may not run like the wind (it's blowing at about 25mph right now---that Pacific NW storm thing), but I am running in the wind and it doesn't matter if it's a head wind or at my back for a change! How about that?

Happy Saturday!

No comments: